Day 15: Santorini

I went to the red beach today. Something I read about Santorini mentioned that there's a black beach, a red beach, and a white beach.

The black beach was the first beach I discovered, because it's the big one that stretches all along the coast of Perissa. The black beach, as it's name suggests, is black. The beach consists of ground up bits of black lava rock - my feet as as smooth as a baby's ass after walking up and down it so much. The beach is lined with shops, restaurants, and bars. I believe this is one of the larger, more popular beaches. It's a cool beach.

The red beach is accessible by car or by boat. I took a ferry to the red beach from the black beach for 14 euro (round trip). It took a good 15 or 20 minutes to get there. The red beach is red - it consists of ground up red lava rock. It's much smaller than the black beach, and it has nothing near it. When I first arrived there, it was nearly empty. There was a path on either side of the beach. Both of them required a hike up the steep cliffs. I believe one led to a parking area. The other one led across a field and eventually to another even smaller beach called Kamassa or something like that. There was a small family restaurant on that beach. I had some lunch there, laid in the sun for a little while, and then walked back to the red beach. When I got back, it was packed! I sat around and played with rocks while I waited for the boat to come back. Too much sun tires me out.

The white beach is, so I'm told, accessible only by boat. I never made it there. I imagine it's made up of white lava rock... Just a guess.

When I finally got back to town, I went home, showered, and took a nap. I woke up from the nap completely fucked! Naps usually do that to me - I sleep for a few hours and when I wake up I feel like I've only had a few hours of sleep - it's awful. I groggily wandered out the door in search of food and something to do... I ended up hanging out with David at Soul Bar and getting pretty drunk. 1.50 euro pints - not bad. The island life has been nice, but it's time to continue my travels...

No comments:

Post a Comment