Day 12: Athens. No, wait, Santorini!

I went to the National Museum of Archeology in Athens this morning. I saw a statue of a siren, which was cool. And I saw a statue of Pan. And I saw a lot of statues of naked men and a few statues of naked women. Ancient cultures are all about being naked - that's what I've learned on this trip. I also saw the famous Mask of Agememnon - there are actually a half dozen or so death masks: the famous one, one of some guy with a big smile and a round head, and a few cool ones with unibrows. The museum was pretty interesting, but I didn't really have that much time to waste, because I found another interesting side trip...

Santorini. I found this island because the Hosteling International website only lists hostels in three cities in Greece: Athens, Corfu, and Santorini. I went to wikitravel to check out Santorini and it looked awesome: nice beaches, good hiking trails, and an active volcano! Rock on! So, I booked a flight and a room for 4 days. I will get back to Athens just in time to catch my flight to Rome to meet my Sweetie!!! I got on the plane, flew for half an hour, and now I'm here on an island in Greece and it's already SO much nicer than being in the city. The sound of the ocean is constant, the moon is almost full, and I was invited to drink some beers on the beach by some Austrailians. I had a fantastic evening just hanging out on the beach at night, talking about random stuff, mostly about how I keep paying too much for everything. People were setting of fireworks on the beach, and the nearby club was playing some pretty good music. My new friends are astounded every time I mention a price to them because they're paying less than half of what I pay for most everything: transportation, lodging, booze, etc. I need to work on traveling more cheaply. Anyway, it was a very nice evening. After I started to get tired, I bid them goodnight and took a short walk on the moonlit beach - unlike most people I don't like long walks on the beach, just short ones. Heh.

I am once again cut off from the world. I have no telephone in my room, nor do I have Internet access. Lame. I will figure it out tomorrow after I work on my tan, hehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment