"Rugged Swag"

Well, apparently chain wallets are cool after all. And Nordstrom is selling the chain, by itself, for $125. If they will admit that rolling up the cuffs of your pants is cool, then I will finally be back in style. I knew they'd figure out what's really cool eventually. Of course, in 2 years, they'll say that bell bottoms are cool or go through some other nonsensical retro backlash. This is why I don't pay attention to style. And also because they have tried to say that oversize sunglasses, acid wash jeans, and anorexia are cool - I have to disagree. The big glasses remind me of insect eyes, the jeans look like you spend a lot of time sliding around on your ass (makes me think of dogs butt-scooting around on the carpet), and the anorexia implies heinous body-image/masochism issues, which turn me off. I actually do kind of appreciate my jeans even after I tear em, but it's like a scar: it's cool because of the history and the story behind it. Pre-torn jeans are, to me, the equivalent of people just cutting themselves on purpose to get cool looking scars. ... That's a very extreme example, but not too far from the truth. The same people that focus on "cool" torn jeans and all that style bullshit are the people that cut themselves to get fake tits implanted and faces lifted and fat sucked out. Sick culture. You can keep it. Either way, I get a little kick when style does start coming around my territory. It's nice to see "rugged swag" A.K.A chains coming to Nordstrom, heh.

ilya said...
I don't know, Evans, i think you're a little extreme. i can see the positive aspects of anorexia, for example, in that people who suffer from it require less material for their clothing and making people in sweatshops of Bangladesh work fewer hours. Isn't that how it works? Therefore, we can think of the cultural glorification of anorexia as having a humanitarian aspect to it.
2/26/2007 1:24 PM
Andrea said...
In response to Ilya's comment -- why would working less hours in the sweatshop due to anorexic clothing be more humanitarian? the people in the sweatshops need to work more hours so that they have enough money to feed their family. If anything...plus size clothing is more humanitarian.
2/27/2007 9:46 AM
Evans Tucker said...
You guys are hilarious...I think we should handle humans like deer: go find areas where they're starving and then kill a bunch of 'em "so they don't get overpopulated and starve". "It's for their own good."If they put air conditioning in the sweatshop, would it become just a shop?
2/27/2007 10:04 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment