Linking to File Shares in Outlook

You would think that as a Network Administrator I would have figure this out a long time ago... I've just finally discovered how to send links to network files in Outlook so that my users can click on them and get the file without having to physically cut and paste the path into Explorer. Well, to be more accurate, I figure out a faster way. Let me define the problem:

Lets say that we have a file located here:

\\fileserver\IT\Directory with spaces in the name\Outlook is sucks.pdf

I used to just send that in the e-mail and it would look like this and the link wouldn't work:

\\fileserver\IT\Directory with spaces in the name\Outlook is sucks.pdf

So I figured out that you can use the "file://" URI, reverse all the slashes, and replace spaces with "%20" (HTML style) to make the link work:

file://fileserver/IT/Directory%20with%20spaces%20in%20the%20name\Outlook%20is%20sucks.pdf

That's a huge pain in the ass though, obviously, and it's prone to typoes. So, I just did some more research and experimentation and discovered this wonderful solution:

<\\fileserver\IT\Directory with spaces in the name\Outlook is sucks.pdf>

Just put pointy brackets around it!

No comments:

Post a Comment