Linux Solutions: Installing Ubuntu on a Sony VGN-A290

Hardware: Sony VGN-A290 Notebook

Software: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop Edition (ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso)

Problem and Troubleshooting process:

I kept getting SQUASHFS errors during the file copying process while installing Ubuntu on my Sony VGN-A290 notebook. I checked the integrity of the CD twice - it was fine. I've used this CD to install Ubuntu on several other computers. I repeated this process several times booting into the Live CD and installing as well as just installing directly from the CD's boot menu. It would fail at slightly different places every time. I ran a memory check on the system from the CD boot menu as well - it passed.

Solution:

After trying numerous things, I discovered that the install worked in safe graphics mode. To get into safe graphics mode, boot the CD, select your language, press F4 for modes, and choose safe graphics mode.

Hooray for persistence.

No comments:

Post a Comment