Linux Solutions: Installing the Rhapsody plugin for Firefox 3.0

Software:

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop Edition (ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso)
Rhapsody Player Engine for Linux (RhapsodyPlayerEngine_Inst_Linux.xpi)

Problem:

My damn Rhapsody music subscription won't work in Linux because I can't get the damn plug-in to install. I go to rhapsody.com, I click Sign In, it opens a pop-up saying that I need to install something, I try to install, it downloads a small file and then... does nothing. After doing extensive research online, I discovered that Firefox 3 no longer works with this type of installer. Boo for progress!

Solution:

Basically, you need to download the Rhapsody Player Engine manually (see file name above) - I found it here. Now what the hell do you do with it? Good question, that's what took hours to figure out. You unzip the damn thing and stick the files in your /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins directory, of course! Done. It works, however the player still fails with some "Technical Error" every once in awhile. I'm still looking into that.

2 comments:

  1. I totally haven't upgraded to firefox 3... I've heard nothing except that it causes random errors with random things. No thanks.

    I am not an early adopter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your instructions. They were easy to follow and best of all... it worked for me. Although it hasn't happened to me yet, I'd rather have occasional lock-ups with the plugin, than not to have the ability to access my music at all. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete