del.icio.us

It's so easy to ignore stuff on webpages. I've been ignoring "del.icio.us" and "reddit" and all the other little link-a-ma-jigs that people have on their blogs for a while now... I just put them in the same category as ads and my mind erased them from my view. But, for whatever reason, I ran across del.icio.us again today. Oh yeah, cuz I was trying to move some bookmarks around in Firefox and I remembered reading about some Google Sync or something so I was gonna check that out, but instead I clicked on bookmark extensions for Firefox or something and found del.icio.us. For the less uB3r-\eRd5 I will include this link: http://del.icio.us/ I'm not just typing the word "delicious" with dots in it. It's a freakin' website. And what a great idea too. All your bookmarks in one place, accessible from anywhere, and shareable. This was the original problem that led me to create my website - I wanted my links everywhere I went. Slowly but surely, the web is catching up to what it should be. Blogger is great. Flickr is great. del.icio.us is great. I think I'm getting closer and closer to giving up on my dreams of self-hosting. The only thing that holds me back right now is the lack of a good backup/content-archiving system for most of these sites. I want copies of the content. All of it. Tags, comments, pictures, blog posts, links, etc. del.icio.us has a good export tool (or so it seems, I haven't actually used it yet). Blogger can kinda export the content. I have no idea what Flickr can do yet, because I haven't started using it. If these awesome sites can really provide these services forever, great. But I am paranoid and I want to keep copies of all the stuff that I've worked on, just in case. ... Anyway. Too much rambling. del.icio.us is great. I will be tying together this blog, del.icio.us, and maybe a Flickr account soon and we'll see if I can make do without my own server...

ilya said...
i want your wisdom when you manage to link those three together. Because I"m lagging behind. I can see new technologies and excitingies (it's a word. that i made up.) happening around me with my participation and i don't want to feel like I'm 80 before i get officially certified by an octogenarian bouncer at the door of your club.
1/05/2007 2:09 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment