Geneology

Sweet Jesus! I just traced my family back to around the year 1140! Let me put that in perspective. I just traced my family lineage:
  • 868 years!
  • 31 generations!
  • 43% of the way to the beginning of Christianity!

I'm talking about knights in England with wacky medieaeival names likes Syman Chainedoit and Stephen Trewarthenick! It's really exciting for some reason - and that just my dad's side - I haven't even begun to climb my mom or my wife's family trees yet! The only reason I'm stopping is because it's almost 2 A.M. and I gotta get up and work on the house tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Ummm, I would like to know how you did this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started with my grandfather's name and went to familysearch.org. Once I found a pedigree file for him, I just started clicking up the tree. One thing led to his mother and then I found myself around the 1500s with no where else to go. After that I started googling some of the oldest ancestors to see if any were famous and found another long chain in a digitized book in Google's book search called "Virginia Cousins" which took me from 1500 back to 1140.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is super awesome. You could totally name your kid Trewarthenick someday and tell him it's a family name:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another fun way to start building all of that stuff up is to use Geni.com. They have a really good visualization tool.

    My only concern would be to avoid things like specific birth dates and SSN just in case the site ever gets hacked.

    ReplyDelete